If you’re looking for a way to celebrate the warm weather and Earth Day (which is also this reporter’s birthday) this week, Hampton Roads breweries has you covered. Here’s what to look forward in the local beer world, this week.
- Commonwealth Brewing Company: SWOLL double IPA (Wednesday) in cans and on draft.
- O’Connor Brewing Company: Tart Tropicale (Friday). It’s a tart light-bodied passion fruit-infused golden ale and it’s on draft and in 16 oz. cans.
- Bold Mariner Brewing Company: Scurvy Dog (Saturday). It was voted the best saison in Virginia last year.
- Reaver Beach Brewing Company: Reaver’s Salvation — Blend # 2 (Saturday). It’s a sour blonde refermented in oak with fresh watermelon and orange zest. It will be sold in bottles and on draft.
- Pleasure House Brewing: We Don’t Cross the Lesner (Saturday). It’s a Belgian strong ale aged in Cabernet barrels. It will be released in bottles.
Celebrate Earth Day at Coelacanth when 10 percent of sales from pints purchased Saturday goes to Keep Virginia Beautiful and the Virginia Green Travel Alliance.
Oak-aged Crand Cru, a Belgian sparkling blonde ale, will be released too. It was aged in oak barrels for 10 months. Then, on April 25, you can pick up cans of Coelia and Enefkay at Kroger Marketplace in Chesapeake.
Celebrate Earth Day at Smartmouth Brewing Company by being one of the first 100 customers for the day, Saturday. You’ll get a tree seedling that’s either Red Maple or White Dogwood. Then on April 27, Safety Dance Pilsner comes out in cans. It’s the first time that it will be in cans.
If you’re already planning ahead to next weekend, make sure Town Center’s Craft Beer Festival is on your calendar. Look for 50 beers from more than 25 breweries. Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 day-of. It’s in the parking lot near Gordon Biersch and Keagan’s.
And a neat event a couple weeks out, but worth mentioning now:
Benchtop Brewing is bringing back its Tidewater Gose Mermaid’s Scorn on May 13 in the form of a throwdown, the brewery says. Along with the beer release on May 13, they’ll offer Belgian-style glasses for sale and task special cask variants throughout the day. Food and music will be part of the festivities and $10 gets you a 13 oz. glass and a 12 oz. pour. Benchtop Brewing on Wednesday will release Juicy Thoughts, a double IPA made with citra and simcoe lupulin power and double dry hopped with the powder. Then, on Saturday, the brewery will release a cask version of it triple hopped.